Sunday 6 January 2013

Sinigang (Tamarind Soup Base)

WARNING! I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL COOK! Just a home-cook mum. :)

DINNER FOR TONIGHT IS SINIGANG (TAMARIND SOUP BASE). This is one of my sons and hubby's favorite that i cook once in a while so they would not get sick of it. I do not have measurement but I will try my hardest to give approximate so bare with me. Anyways, you can comment below if you have any questions.

First of all, with the sinigang mix you can buy them at any Asian Groceries except for Korean Groceries stores. I usually use 3 but i recommend use only one then taste and see how sour you want it. Hubby likes the soup very sour. 

With the water amount, I use the water I wash the rice with. It gives more flavor to the soup. Use about 2 Liters but I use about 3 because I freeze the left over and I scoop out the fat that floats on top while boiling. Some people like to keep the fat but I get rid of most of it. (picture above)

I buy my green vegetables (bokchoy) at Asian groceries as well. I mix it with any green vegetable available so this is optional. I also like my onions and tomatoes big slices cos I crash some of it for flavor to the soup. 
The meat is optional, but I like using Osso Bucco and Beef Gravy. You can use pork ribs or any meet you like. Also when cutting the beef meat try to get rid off all the fats as its rubbery once its cooked.

Ingredients:
Sinigang mix (picture above)
Vegetables
5 Tomatoes
3 Onions
Water
Osso Bucco and Beef Gravy (optional)
Salt and Pepper for seasoning (optional)
Green big chilli (its not going to make it spicy)
Jasmine Rice

Steps:

 1. Wash the rice and set aside the second and so on water used to wash the rice depending on how much water you want to use. I don't wash my rice too much.

 2. Boil water. While boiling the water I start my preparation. Slice tomatoes and onion set a side half of the onion. Depending on the size I would slice it in half or 1/4. Wash vegetables and drain. Slice half of the onion and garlic into little cubes. Slice meat into preferred sized.

 3. Sear the meat. Put oil into a pan. Toss in the onion and garlic cubes and fry the meat for a little bit just till its brown.

 4. Pour the meat, green chilli, onions and tomatoes into the boiling water. Let it boil for 5 minutes.

 5. Get a bowl or a mug and scoop up some of the boiling water for the sinigang mix.

 6. Pour in the sinigang mix and let it boil for another 5 minutes. Taste to see if its sour enough for you.

 7. Let it boil for another 5 or 10 minutes. Keep checking to see if the meat is soft and tender enough to your liking. Season with salt and pepper.

 8. After the meat is ready, turn off the stove and add in all the vegetables and put a lid on it. Let the steam soften up the vegetables for about 5 or more minutes.

 Serve with rice. I usually have the sinigang soup on a bowl and rice on the plate. I sometimes would feel like fish sauce on the side for more flavor. (I don't mix the fish sauce to the sinigang soup instead I grab a small amount with a teaspoon and grizzle it over the rice and the meat of the sinigang. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment